AMA Summer Series: Tealium Strategy with Global Manager of Digital Strategy, Richard Morrow

Community Manager
Community Manager

Richard Morrow Headshot.jpeg

Tealium's Global Manager of Digital Strategy, @richardm will join our Ask Me Anything series with a Q&A session about "Tealium Strategy." 

How it Works

• This post will be opened for questions in advance, starting on Monday, July 29th. Submit your strategy questions by replying to this post.
  • Join us on Thursday, August 1st from 10am-11am PST where you'll have the opportunity to watch your strategy questions answered live!

Kristen Meren
TLC Community Manager
12 REPLIES 12

AMA Summer Series: Tealium Strategy with Global Manager of Digital Strategy, Richard Morrow

tamedbeast
Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor tamedbeast

Hello Tealium users,

Wanted to drop a quick note to remind you that this discussion thread is now open. We will begin to collect all your questions about digital strategy here, and your questions will be answered live on August 1st at 10am PST. Looking forward to see what kind of questions you can come up with!

If you liked it then you should have put a kudo on it!

Tealium Expert
Tealium Expert

Hello -  the timing is great!  

My  questions  are  around all the changes happening in our industry.   Is Tealium able to shape any of the response to new techniques to cope with the new seemingly 'tracking-hostile' environment  created by  GDPR, ITP, and soon CCPA?  Can some new cookieless paradigm be developed to help us move beyond primitive cookies, local storage, etc.   

Thank you - looking forward to  the discussion!

Tealium Employee

@mitchellt wrote:

Hello -  the timing is great!  

My  questions  are  around all the changes happening in our industry.   Is Tealium able to shape any of the response to new techniques to cope with the new seemingly 'tracking-hostile' environment  created by  GDPR, ITP, and soon CCPA?  Can some new cookieless paradigm be developed to help us move beyond primitive cookies, local storage, etc.   

@mitchellt  Thanks for your question. We do have a few blog posts relating to ITP2 and we hope to add more insights soon. Check out the latest blog post by @tygavin here.

Who will develop the cookieless paradigm first? That’s the million dollar question. We do feel our customers’ growing pains with all the new regulations and aim to provide more thought leadership on these issues in the TLC Blog.

That being said, my feeling is that the focus should be less about ways to “beat the system” and more on strategies that enable engagement and self identification. We've already seen the browsers release patches for work-arounds, so I don't think we've seen the end of those changes. Giving your users reasons to log in and stay engaged is the best place to start. Combining that with a CDP like AudienceStream seems to be the way to go right now.

Tealium Expert
Tealium Expert

Hi @richardm,

Looking at the DMP/CMP/CDP platform-market from afar there seems to be a lot of overlap and shared features. What are some key points for companies looking to acquire such a platform and how do you see the future for these types of platforms in terms of differentiation and or overlap?

Thanks in advance!

Tealium Employee

@TimWaijers wrote:

Looking at the DMP/CMP/CDP platform-market from afar there seems to be a lot of overlap and shared features. What are some key points for companies looking to acquire such a platform and how do you see the future for these types of platforms in terms of differentiation and or overlap?

@TimWaijers Great question(s). I feel that platform technologies will always have overlap since they all need to attract like minded customers trying to solve digital needs. Where differentiation occurs is drilling down to how those technologies were first created and their intended uses. This should guide a company on what is the right technology to adopt.

A DMP was developed as a cookie based system focused on third-party data for the purpose of display marketing. A CDP is based upon first-party data and deterministic visitor identify resolution. A CDP like AudienceStream is intended to fuel data orchestration across your entire tech stack, not just display efforts.

A CMP was developed specifically for consent management and this could be a good thing if that is what you are looking for. The caveat I would throw out there is how well does the CMP operationalize consent once it has it. Does the CMP have the integrations, up to date and latest visitor profile to be accurate, and can it react in real-time. These are foundational elements of our integrated products and solutions, so not only can we solution for consent management, but we go further.

Tealium Expert
Tealium Expert
Hello!
What are some of the most interesting use cases you have seen from clients pulling data out of Audience/Event Stream?
Thanks!

Tealium Employee

@STerjeson wrote:
Hello!
What are some of the most interesting use cases you have seen from clients pulling data out of Audience/Event Stream?
Thanks!

@STerjeson 

1. We were able to utilize referrer and query string parameter data from marketing campaigns during new user sessions to understand what was driving customers to their website. Instore purchase data was then processed into AudienceStream using email address as the Visitor ID joining online activity to the purchase data. Through DataAccess, we were able to create a robust report of online to offline purchase activity across spans of time. For the first time the customer was enabled to understand how media campaigns truly influenced in-store shopping behaviors.

2. A car rental company previously allowed customers to reserve “this vehicle ‘or similar’”, which resulted in customers often getting a car not desired. Rather than having this vague booking experience, the rental company utilized a hosted data layer to ping their inventory system for every rental location, and returned the exact cars available. The end-users now had the ability to rent a vehicle exact to their wants or specifications rather than risking getting the old “or similar” experience.

In the event the end-user had previously booked a car with this rental company, AudienceStream was used to trigger onsite personalization to suggest cars similar to those previously reserved/booked.

Highlighted

Tealium Employee

@STerjeson a follow up to the question of use cases:

I think a lot of customers see AudienceStream solely as a remarketing tool but many don’t realize that it holds a lot of value for organizations seeking to create operational efficiencies as well.

We had a major international airline wanting to create efficiency during the peak holiday travel season. Their goal was to reduce queue times by persuading people check-in for their flights ahead of time. Using AudienceStream, the airline segmented users who had upcoming holiday travel and sent mobile reminders and email triggers to continually remind them to check in for their upcoming flight. When these users did check in for their flight, communications could be shifted to only send gate changes or in-flight upsell messages.

Utilizing the concept of a “Data Layer” allows a customer to join disparate data into a unified dataset which allows more efficient analyses without any further needed normalization. We have noticed that this has eliminated many of the steps required in their traditional ETL processes.

Customers additionally have the option to leverage real-time data feeds from our connectors that can provide both “Event” and “Audience” data that directly pipes into their data lakes. They can also take advantage of our DB product storage for efficient data visualizations or dashboards without having to worry about any operational data teams for assistance.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tealium users! We are just under two hours away from live answers to all your digital strategy questions. 

Drop a line for Richard about your AudienceStream strategy and configurations, or ask for guidance on marketing tactics and the measurement of your use cases.

Reply to this discussion thread and enjoy this complimentary Digital Strategy session with one of Team Teal's brightest. Hope to see your questions soon!

Kristen Meren
TLC Community Manager

Tealium Employee

Hi, I’m Richard Morrow - ask me anything about Digital Strategy. At Tealium I partner with enterprise level clients to realize and maximize their return on investment from Tealium’s software solutions. Today I’m here to answer questions that will better help you utilize our products, too.Image from iOS (1).jpg

Tealium Employee

One last thing my team would love for you to know is that we offer a variety of workshops to further your endeavors with Tealium. If you need help with your digital strategy relating to Tealium products, we encourage you to reach out to us via your Account Manager to get the process started. We can provide assistance with short or long term strategic planning, data visualization and reporting, customer identity resolution, and data orchestration strategies. This is a service available to all AudienceStream customers and we’d love to help you expand your capabilities.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for participating in today's AMA! Stay tuned for the announcement of our next event, coming in about four weeks. We welcome your feedback on this Ask Me Anything series, including your ideas for future TLC events. We’d appreciate a minute of your time to answer three quick questions that will help us continue to offer engaging events.

>>Give Feedback Here

Kristen Meren
TLC Community Manager