AMA Summer Series: Session 1, The Tealium Vision with Co-Founder and CTO, Mike Anderson

Community Manager
Community Manager

mike_anderson_head_01.jpg

Tealium co-founder and CTO, @mike_anderson will kick off our new Ask Me Anything series with a Q&A session about "the Tealium Vision." 

How it Works

• This post will be opened for questions in advance, starting on Monday, June 10th. Submit your question about the Tealium vision by replying to this post.
  • Join us on Monday, June 17th from 10am-11am PST where you'll have the opportunity to watch your questions about the vision of Tealium answered live!

Kristen Meren
TLC Community Manager
17 REPLIES 17

AMA Summer Series: Session 1, The Tealium Vision with Co-Founder and CTO, Mike Anderson

Anthony
Visitor
Anthony

Hi,

What is the situation in China? Previously Tealium worked flawlessly in China, but now the service requires us to load scripts differently to cover some (but not all) of our needs.

How can you communicate these issues better in future?

Thanks,

Anthony

Tealium Employee

@Anthony wrote:

Hi,

What is the situation in China? Previously Tealium worked flawlessly in China, but now the service requires us to load scripts differently to cover some (but not all) of our needs.

How can you communicate these issues better in future?

Thanks,

Anthony

@Anthony We had an abrupt message late last year from the Chinese government that our historical license to deliver content from behind the wall was no longer legal. We have been investigating what is the best path forward, but we want to be sure we were very thorough so we don't go through this again. Right now, we have a solid plan that we're rolling out. I'm ambitious we will have this back up and running by the end of July, but since it's China and highly unpredictable, hold me to Q3.

Highlighted

VIP
VIP VIP

Thanks @Anthony for bringing this topic and to @mike_anderson for the update.  The China CDN issue is affecting my Tealium profiles as well, our Dev team is located across various cities in China and our client base there is growing as well.  Are there some workarounds we can try in the meantime, such as self-hosting our Tealium scripts? Could you direct me to any docs on how to do this?

Thanks as always for Tealium iQ and for your transparency and candor.

petemagnusson
Visitor
petemagnusson

Workspaces.
When was this to be released and what will be the roleout plan?

Thanks

Tealium Employee

@petemagnusson wrote:

Workspaces.
When was this to be released and what will be the roleout plan?

Thanks

@petemagnusson Workspaces is a critical part of our roadmap going forward. It touches almost every aspect of the platform and requires careful due diligence, planning and a customer-involved rollout. We are still finalizing the exact timing but it is currently planned for mid next year.

IrisV
Visitor
IrisV

Hi Mike,

Tealium is able to recognize users across devices like no other technology. However, we feel that we are leveraging this too little. Three questions regarding this are:

• We regularly see a user having two simultaneous sessions on different devices. Will there be a way to trigger an action (like an abandoned cart mail) only after all sessions have ended?
  • Some connectors depend on a device ID, like the Google ID. As the vendor accepts only one per API call, we are often only passing the last known device ID. However, for media spend suppression use cases it would be great if we could trigger the connector for each known device ID. Of course we can make a custom work-around, but it would be even better if Tealium could loop through all known device IDs and send an API call for each one automatically. 
  • Finally, we would like to exclude offline buyers from Facebook ads for 30 days using their email address. Using the Tealium Facebook connector we can easily add them to a customer match list in Facebook to exclude. However, removing them after 30 days (delay action 30 days when in audience at end of visit) gets tricky. The tricky part is that if someone orders every 14 days we never want to remove them. For as far as I'm aware there is no solution for that yet.

Looking forward to hear your thoughts!

Best,

Iris

Tealium Employee

@IrisV wrote:

Hi Mike,

Tealium is able to recognize users across devices like no other technology. However, we feel that we are leveraging this too little. Three questions regarding this are:

• We regularly see a user having two simultaneous sessions on different devices. Will there be a way to trigger an action (like an abandoned cart mail) only after all sessions have ended?
  • Some connectors depend on a device ID, like the Google ID. As the vendor accepts only one per API call, we are often only passing the last known device ID. However, for media spend suppression use cases it would be great if we could trigger the connector for each known device ID. Of course we can make a custom work-around, but it would be even better if Tealium could loop through all known device IDs and send an API call for each one automatically. 
  • Finally, we would like to exclude offline buyers from Facebook ads for 30 days using their email address. Using the Tealium Facebook connector we can easily add them to a customer match list in Facebook to exclude. However, removing them after 30 days (delay action 30 days when in audience at end of visit) gets tricky. The tricky part is that if someone orders every 14 days we never want to remove them. For as far as I'm aware there is no solution for that yet.

Looking forward to hear your thoughts!

Best,

Iris

@IrisV Really interesting idea on the all sessions have ended. We'll have to dig into it to see. I'm sure it's possible. Right now a trigger would happen end of session for the abandonment email, and stitching happens at that point too. It sounds like we would need a trigger for "End of session, post stitch"

I'd like to set a conference call with you and my product team to scope this in more detail.

I would probably want to dig deeper into this as well. Audience Sizing Jobs (which is a new Early Access feature) should do this. You setup a query and set up a recurring schedule for it to run. When you couple this with Cloud Functions it gets really powerful (Cloud Functions releases this year). Another feature is Audience Builder 2.0 which releases soon that helps with this as well.

tamedbeast
Contributor
tamedbeast

Hi Tealium users,

Just wanted to remind you to post your question about the Tealium vision for @mike_anderson, who will be hopping on the thread shortly. 

We have just over an hour til your questions are answered here, in realtime! Don't wait, reply to the post now before this thread closes to new questions at 11am PST.

If you liked it then you should have put a kudo on it!

lkehl
Occasional Contributor
lkehl

Hi Mike,

thanks for doing another AMA!

Recently you talked a lot about prediciting churn/cart abandoners in realtime while the user is still on the site/the app in order to personalize the experience directly in the session and therefore save costs on paid marketing. This requires in my opinion a really granular tracking that goes far beyond sending data only for every page impression. According to you, what would be data points to track in order to start with such a realtime in-session prediction?

Tealium Employee

@lkehl wrote:

Hi Mike,

thanks for doing another AMA!

Recently you talked a lot about prediciting churn/cart abandoners in realtime while the user is still on the site/the app in order to personalize the experience directly in the session and therefore save costs on paid marketing. This requires in my opinion a really granular tracking that goes far beyond sending data only for every page impression. According to you, what would be data points to track in order to start with such a realtime in-session prediction?

@lkehl You're right, the data starts to get granular. Data points such as time between clicks, dwell time of the mouse, internal searches, historical purchases, average time spent on pages, and a lot of others play into this. We can grab all of these via extensions and will add these formally into the marketplace. We run a "Machine Learning Readiness" exercise based on the predictability. For example in the fitness vertical, things are really predictable which makes sense based on someone making the decision to finally get healthier, but in hospitality we originally didn't see as high of a prediction quality at a global level but when we broke it into mini regions (Tokyo, Chicago) the signals were much stronger.

But this is a journey, there's not an easy button here. We need to collaborate on this as partners.

GavinAttard
Occasional Contributor
GavinAttard Occasional Contributor

Hi Mike

Firstly thanks for a great platform and superb DVEU last week. 

I really enjoyed the roadmap presentation you made. 

So i have two questions. 

The first is a bug bear around Order of Operations and managing that across multi-site instances through library. I here some new features might be in the offing here? Ones that mean we won't have to adjsut each profile every time we add new extentions to the linked library... :-) 

The second and most important one, is to do with the new features and direction around beign able to plug in your own models into Audience stream. (forgive me i can't remeber the name of the feature... you threw a good party the night before)

One of the pain points a lot of business have is in deploying their models. There are i think two great enabling platforms in the data and analytics space that are real enablers. Tealium of course, and Alteryx. Do you see any scope for working with Alteryx to help make deployment of models faster into Tealium? 

kr

Research your Experience | Improve and Evolve | Leave no one behind

Tealium Employee

@GavinAttard wrote:

Hi Mike

Firstly thanks for a great platform and superb DVEU last week. 

I really enjoyed the roadmap presentation you made. 

So i have two questions. 

The first is a bug bear around Order of Operations and managing that across multi-site instances through library. I here some new features might be in the offing here? Ones that mean we won't have to adjsut each profile every time we add new extentions to the linked library... :-) 

The second and most important one, is to do with the new features and direction around beign able to plug in your own models into Audience stream. (forgive me i can't remeber the name of the feature... you threw a good party the night before)

One of the pain points a lot of business have is in deploying their models. There are i think two great enabling platforms in the data and analytics space that are real enablers. Tealium of course, and Alteryx. Do you see any scope for working with Alteryx to help make deployment of models faster into Tealium? 

@GavinAttard On the library front, I think the key feature that is most relevant is "trickle publish". This allows you to make a change in the library and publish to all affected libraries. We also want to expose the list of affected profiles when a library changes. I'm open to other ideas if you want more…

Tealium Think is the product and the AudienceStream addon will be the first release. There are 3 phases to the first release and, transparently, bringing your own models is slated for the third phase because it's the most complicated. We need to ensure all of the inputs you are using to train your model are available to Tealium, which we're seeing is not always the case. In the meantime, our data science team can collaborate consultatively to build net new models that mimic yours.

We do a lot of work with Alteryx because data engineering is always needed, but we hope with some of the existing features like Event Specifications and future features like Cloud Functions, some of the Alteryx functionality can be embedded into Tealium directly to reduce the need for data engineering.

Tealium Employee

mike AMA.png

Good morning everyone, it's been a busy 2 months, but candidly, it's been a busy 12 months. I just got back from London this weekend where our Digital Velocity conference was a large success. I had a podcast interview go live on ModernCTO, which I encourage you to listen to as I call out more plans in there. For the last year, I really took a hard look at the business and made a lot of internal organization changes on my team with the goal of making Tealium the best partner we can be, and the desire to be hands down your favorite vendor.

I own Engineering, Customer Success and Product. If you were at either DV San Diego or DV London, this will sound repetitive, but if not, I spent a lot of time reinspecting each of my factories.

On the engineering front, I've done some leadership rebalancing, including merging my Tealium iQ and UDH teams. The first benefit you've seen is the first stage of the merging of the UI's. As we move forward, features will continue to apply to both UI's instead of applying independently. This is just the beginning for improved engineering throughput for us. On the Customer Success front I'm redesigning the teams for better continuity from the deployment to the support phase by building "squads" so each customer will have a more consistent set of Project Managers, Deployment Engineers and Support folks during their Tealium journey, where today the Account Manager is really the only constant.

Also we'll be rolling out a certification program which will give you access to a senior support queue (lifting the idea from American Airlines' Executive Platinum program). Finally the product team. I underinvested in the product team for too long. I spent a lot of my energy handling this, but realized I wasn't providing the best experience for my customers at this scale. On March 31st my product team had 2 people on it, if you included me. Today it has 18, and we have much more depth now. You'll see things like Quarterly Roadmap Webinars as well as more outreach to scope features directly with you the customer as we look ahead.

I'll continue to say thank you for your partnership because without you, Tealium wouldn't be Tealium.

Tealium Employee

We're heads down working on Tealium Think right now which is an addon to AudienceStream. I want to disrupt reacquisition marketing by predicting potential abandonment before the user abandons and leveraging our real time position with Data Layer Enrichment and Tealium iQ to nurture a potential abandoner through the funnel versus waiting for the user to abandon and using email, social and ad tech to reacquire the user back into the funnel.

Tealium Employee

My vision for the future of tag management has three main focuses:

Consent management continues to be a big part of tag management with GDPR and the upcoming CCPA, so we're focusing heavily there. This is an area where you need "one throat to choke". You can't have your consent manager say "we told the TMS system to not load this" and the TMS system saying "the consent manager never told me not to load this". It's too critical and costly to allow for finger pointing here. We will continue to invest in consent.

On the server-side, we are adding "Cloud Functions" this year, the server-side version of extensions from TiQ. We've had extensions longer than anyone and even though TMS systems typically are known for putting tags on the page and being able to transform data before collection, we want to provide this same capability in EventStream. Tag management is not just about putting tags on your site, it's also about removing tags from the page and delivering the results from the power of the cloud. Having cloud functions allows you to reduce CPU cycles on the device, which improves performance, create larger lookup tables, conceal security and consent by moving code off the page, and engage with microservices.

On the client-side, we are adding better event tracking capabilities for single page applications. We want to leverage the power of the community by having a contest for the best "Single Page Application Implementation." You would submit your SPA and our deployment/support engineers will evaluate it and declare a winner and share some of the techniques with the community. I plan to do this for Consent Manager too, and I'm open to ideas on other topics for competition.

Tealium Employee

Lastly, we are focusing on the future of privacy, data security, and compliance.

This is a really a big deal...It's not going away, and it's going to get more complicated each day. To think it's a "marketing" problem or it's a "technology" problem is wrong. This is something that has to happen from the top down at a company and privacy and security has to be a culture shift for organizations. The brand integrity will depend on it. We see consent and privacy as just another way to build a better relationship with the customer. Instead of just knowing what products they like, companies really need to understand and respect their privacy asks.

We have been hard at work focused on HIPAA, SOC2, ISO27001 and ISO27018 and from what I understand, I believe we are the only vendor providing single tenant "Private Clouds" in either the US, Ireland, Frankfurt, Tokyo and Sydney. These private clouds allow companies to bring PII data alongside the event level and audience level data for richer engagement and personalization.

Six years ago when we launched the first CDP, the use cases were around faster email messages and media suppression, now we have healthcare companies that are using our CDP to understand their patients and building healthier people. Healthcare has the strictest data requirements, and we have 6 healthcare, one MDM and a data agency leveraging our private cloud capability. I'm very proud of this and how far we've come.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Thank you for participating in today's AMA! Stay tuned for the announcement of our next event, coming in about four weeks with Global Manager of Digital Strategy, @richardm. We welcome your feedback on this Ask Me Anything series, including your ideas for future TLC events. We’d appreciate a minute of your time to answer three quick questions that will help us continue to offer engaging events.

Kristen Meren
TLC Community Manager