Audience Stream documentation needs overhaul

loldenburg
Contributor
loldenburg

I am trying to gather good documentation on Audience Stream to pass on internally. With some of the Audience Stream Doc at https://community.tealiumiq.com/t5/Universal-Data-Hub/Introduction-to-Universal-Data-Hub/ta-p/17571, I am ok, but in many places it looks unfinished or sloppily hastily assembled. Stuff like that will definitely decrease the credibility in the product internally, as we tend to say "good and rich documentation is usually a sign that the product is widespread and good in the first place."

I have no time to document every bit, but someone needs to go over this at Tealium.

Here just some examples: 

1. Useless on Mobile: When looking at it on a mobile phone, no images are displayed, they are shoved as weird image icons and one can click on them, but out of context. Moreover, there is no table of content visible on the side.

2. Already the first page has "Using Enrichments [LINK HERE]" in the Table of Contents...

3. In the Attributes Page, there seem to be some full-stops or line-breaks missing, but ok... What bothers me most is the imprecise description:

a) "Data persists for the duration of the Event" - how should a non-technical person from Marketing understand that. How long is the "duration of the Event"? How about writing sth like: "The value does not persist, i.e. it is valid only for the event (the "Hit") in which it is set."

b) Session Times: Are they described correctly? A web-based session lasts always 30 minutes? That's what users will understand. So a user that needs 31 minutes to browse the site until he purchases, will be split into 2 sessions? That's nonsense...

I hope what is meant is "A web-based session ends after 30 minutes of inactivity by the user (no more incoming Events for 30 minutes). 
Documentation needs to be very precise, that's the opposite here.

Image (1).png

Furthermore, I would expect a good documentation to have

- concrete examples for each of the data types, especially complex stuff like "tallys" or "timelines"

- more examples for connectors from the marketplace and sensible examples for those (only a vague facebook connector example is shown)

7 REPLIES 7

kathleen_jo
Employee Emeritus
kathleen_jo

Hello @loldenburg. Thank you for the feedback. We'll take a look at our Universal Data Hub - AudienceStream documentation and see what we can improve.

Keep the feedback coming. The constructive criticism helps us get better.

Remember to give me a kudo if you like my post! Accepting my post as a solution is even better! Also remember that search is your friend.

Gerhard_TUI
Visitor
Gerhard_TUI

@loldenburg he is right. A better and more precise documentation would be very helpful.

Is it possible to watch recordings from the university videos somewhere?

kathleen_jo
Employee Emeritus
kathleen_jo

@Gerhard_TUI wrote:

@loldenburg he is right. A better and more precise documentation would be very helpful.

Is it possible to watch recordings from the university videos somewhere?

Excellent question and thank you for the further confirmation @Gerhard_TUI. We are definitely going to take a step back and look at our AudienceStream documentation.

In answer to your recordings on Tealium University question, that would be a @Clint question. @Clint can you give @Gerhard_TUI a little insight into this? Thank you!!!!

Remember to give me a kudo if you like my post! Accepting my post as a solution is even better! Also remember that search is your friend.

kathleen_jo
Employee Emeritus
kathleen_jo

Hi @loldenburg. I'm gong to move this into the Feedback Forum for greater visibility, if you don't mind. :-)

Clint
Employee Emeritus
Clint
Hi @Gerhard_TUI, we are in the process of re-creating the AudienceStream webinars as ondemand videos for Tealium University on Demand. Once they are available we will make an announcement.

TimWaijers
Regular Visitor
TimWaijers

Hi @kathleen_jo,

I totally agree with the aforementioned comments about the quality of the Audience and Eventstream documentation. There seems to be very little structure to the documentation and things are explained only in a broad sense.

Example of problem:

Attributes are explained (https://community.tealiumiq.com/t5/Universal-Data-Hub/Using-Attributes/ta-p/11926) on a highlevel but there are no links to individual attribute explanations. When you search for an attribute (eg. number) the first result is a page describing that attribute (https://community.tealiumiq.com/t5/Universal-Data-Hub/Number-Attribute/ta-p/12081). The Number Attribute page has a list of 14 enrichments, however the actual number attribute within Audience Stream has 16. Only 4 Number Attribute Enrichments have their own page (linked from the Number Attribute page).

The descriptions of the enrichments within the Audience Stream enviroment give more information than the documentation, however there aren't any examples or use cases for each enrichment.

Actual Description of enrichment in Audience Stream:
Set Number to Change In Number
Set this attribute to the difference of the selected value between this event and the last event.

Example of solution

Expected Documentation:
Set Number to Change In Number

This enrichment changes the value of the current attribute to the difference between two other attributes...

This description is actually terrible because I have no idea how this enrichment works and/or what it could be used for.

There are multiple examples where the documentation is Lacking. I would start with describing each attribute and enrichment in a very technical manner and build out with examples after that.

Highlighted

kathleen_jo
Employee Emeritus
kathleen_jo

Hello @TimWaijers. Thank you for the feedback. Keep it coming. Helps us improve the Community. :-)