Hi my name is Mike Anderson, Founder & CTO of Tealium, ask me anything!

mvenkatesan
Occasional Contributor
mvenkatesan Occasional Contributor

Hello @mike_anderson,

My Question is related t a functionality requirement in Tealium IQ.

We are looking something like a branch feature in tealium IQ, in my current organization there are multiple swimlane teams working on different projects simultanioulsy and the release dates are not same, each project goes in a different date. Due to which we are facing challenges with pushing the impletemented project to production. 

Below is a scenario and what we are currenlty doing - 

- If there are 3 projects implemented and ready for production push, but 2 project dates are changed and other one is critical and cant wait and had to go to prod, what we do is roll-back the changes fo other 2 projects and push the required project to prod and rework on those rolled back project again. We are wasting too much of effort here (both dev and testing effort)

Can we have some functionality like branching, meaning creating each project in a different brand and select the respective brach/projects which need to go live and push them to production environment.

I believe this would a must need featuire and can we expect this along with the multi user feature which is planned to release?

Thanks!

Tealium Employee

loldenburg wrote:

4. Any chance that Data Layer Enrichment via Audience Stream will work even faster?

@loldenburg

Unfortunately the DLE response takes some finite time. We are always focused on performance, so we're always working on this, however because data is globally collected, sometimes we have to search the closest data center for a visitor record then broadcast to the other data centers on a cache miss, and that just takes time.

However, what I tell people about DLE is unless you're using a lot of critical Omnichannel data, then the data stored from the DLE response is in LocalStorage and up-to-date at the start of the visit. In most cases (unless you're using Omnichannel), the data you have in LocalStorage is completely relevant. If you're using Omnichannel, and you loaded data about a visitor between VisitA and VisitB, then you will have to wait that extra couple hundred ms for the Omnichannel data, but all the other data is already on the page.

The question you should ask is when will LocalStorage be part of the Data Layer configuration screen in iQ? The answer is, hopefully, soon...this has been on our list for a while and just needs to get prioritized

Tealium Employee

loldenburg wrote:

5. What about the improvement of Array Handling in Audience Stream generally and more specifically, connectors? Array seem to be a problem in so many areas of Audience Stream, however Arrays are the most common form of transmitting product data in an ecommerce shop.
As an example, right now, the connectors we use (ExactTarget) don't allow us to make visitor profile exports for typical e-commerce use cases like "user had 3 different product in cart". ExactTarget in this case expects one line per product per user (so 3 lines). The Connector however can only send one row per user (=> only one product), which makes it impossible to cover multiple-products-per-user cases which are so abundant in E-Commerce.
So this severely limits our follow-up campaign potential (like user had product a, b, c in basket but did not buy => send follow-up mail with exactly these three products in it (right now we can send only one of the products))

@loldenburg

The "Array of Strings" and "Array of Numbers" attributes are already in development. Targeting a Q1 2018 release after the holiday shopping code freeze.

Tealium Employee

loldenburg wrote:

6. Tealium in other languages. Right now, Tealium iQ, the Tealium.com website, and Audience Stream are theoretically available in German and other languages. Tealium even forces you into these other languages when your browser language is German for example. But the German experience is just horrible, with loads of misleading and wrongly translated terms, imho even unusable, because Tealium (I wonder who even came up with such an idea?) chose to do a machine translation... Is this ever going to be fixed? Because I cannot believe that anyone uses e.g. the German version on purpose.

@loldenburg

I've heard about the forcing languages just recently. We'll get that fixed.

The translation quality is interesting. We use a service called Smartling that handles all our translation and the idea is they do machine translation for the changes and then have an actual translator do the translation. Once the translation is done we replace the machine translation for the actual one. I've had my German employees review the UI to quality check and haven't had anything bubbled up to me, but we'll look into this.

Realistically you should only see the machine translation version for changed/new items in the UI and you should only see them for a couple weeks.

Tealium Employee

@JerTippets wrote:

Hey @mike_anderson

I love the Tealium tool set, and lately we have been playing around with the connectors in Audience Stream trying to find a perfect fit for our needs. 

Most of the time, we can make what need work. If we can't find an existing solution, we can always use a webhook to figure it out. 

However, I would love to see some sort of Market Place where companies and developers could build their own Connectors in Audience Stream and offer those to other clients. I'm sure we are not the only clients who face the some hurdles, and we would love to benefit from other companies who have already figured out a solution. 

Have you ever toyed with the idea of creating something like SalesForce AppCenter for the DataHub? 

Jer

@JerTippets

Yes, I definitely want this and will spearhead it.

I also want power users like you to see our "Webhook Configurator" tool. We use it internally to rapidly create custom webhooks for our platform and turn them into formal connectors in the marketplace. Let's follow up because I'd like to get this into your hands.

I totally agree that an ability to share connectors is a huge positive.

loldenburg
Contributor
loldenburg

@mike_anderson wrote:

"@loldenburg

I would love to better understand this and I’ve asked your account manager to reach out to you as a follow up. We have very large customers that are using the heck out of this feature and there’s a multi-brand retailer that is doing some really cool things where the data layer items are code blocks and we're downloading dynamic code blocks at a per page level. One customer is using it to load ad pixels on the page which they need to change 10k pixels every week. From the other customers I'm hearing nothing but good things so a little surprised about the issues."

=> Well I have escalated our severe issues with DDLM to several account managers and account managers have contacted me, I have written extensive lists to support more than one time with the description of the problems (which are major and make any sensible implementation for a true ecommerce site impossible), and it seems like you have never heard of that.

But since nothing changed, I decided to write it out in this article which funnily came out just this afternoon so I don't have to repeat myself over and over again: https://www.webanalyticsworld.net/2017/11/testing-tealiums-dynamic-data-layer-management-product-dat...

In short, it took us about a year to get it going, getting it going vastly complicated our Tealium iQ logic, and since having it on the site we have had numerous data losses because of the change this feature brings to the Extension logic in Tealium iQ. Lastly, it is not suited for very general e-commerce use cases (product data) where you have more than just one product on a page (e.g. a cart filled with 3 products).

Tealium Employee

@Prolet wrote:

We just started with Tealium and we are finding that current permissions and locking capabilities are not enough for our use cases. As GDPR is coming in fast, we are trying to ensure that the platform is setup with more controls around who can do certain things in the platform. Are there plans on enhancing capabilities so companies with more users and complex permissions have better control over the platform?

Features we would like to see:

1. Ability to specify environment permissions on per user and profile level
    • Right now vendors are assigned on account level. We would like to be able to assign vendors on profile level, while still abiding by the account level functionality
    • Why: We want to limit certain users to only have access to deploy certain tags. And no, tags do not work, because tags are on an individual tag level which means that as a marketer I can still deploy an analytics tag because the account provides it.We should not allow a marketer to deploy analytics tags and this is currently possible in the platform

@Prolet

We are kicking off a large project on GDPR enhancements, but there's still a lot of scoping we have to do. We've done a ton already for GDPR, but there is definitely more to do.

Unfortunately the nature of our tool is to deploy a bundle. There are too many interdependencies to allow users to start deploying just individual tags and frankly it could be impossible to track down these issues with a ton of different versions in place. This makes it much easier to rollback changes at a bundle level without so many moving targets of individual tags.

If you lock down tags using resource locks, then I technically can't change those tags at all. With "per version publishing" (yes that's what we call it), we don't update tags that aren't changed. So if I have Google Analytics under my control and you try to make changes to DoubleClick, there are no changes published out for Google Analytics even though you publish everything.

What won't work with our system is where there are changes to Google Analytics made by me, and you make changes to DoubleClick and publish those out. The GA changes get published unless you understand how to use Publish Targets for tags and you have GA1 set to prod and GA2 set to qa. Then the changes in GA2 are never published to production until you promote GA2 over GA1.

loldenburg
Contributor
loldenburg
"validating each event in real time." I don't know if that's true, as the UDH (Audience Stream interface "Live Data" section at least) shows only a sample of the real live data.
"You create a spec for each event and we monitor it for correctness. " => Maybe I don't know what you are referring you? The "Verify Data Layer" feature maybe? We tested that, it was far off from what we can do with a true QA tool (not to talk it down, I know it is free). Moreover, to use EventStream is not "free", it requires signing a big contract first...

Tealium Employee

@Prolet wrote:

2. Vendor permission on profile/user/user group level

• Right now if a person has permissions to deploy to one profile to prod they can deploy any profile they have access to , which does not work for a couple of reasons:
    • We have PCI compliant profiles that need to go through special review with our PCI compliance team. Only approved individuals should be able to deploy to prod for this profile
    • We do not want to centralize deployment as we will have too many stakeholders and systems, and we want to enable marketers to deploy their own tags

@Prolet

What you're asking for is already supported. What you need to do is do multiple passes in the permissions workflow. Select a user, select the profile(s) where they can publish to production and set the permissions, then go through again and select the profile(s) where they can only publish to qa and set those permissions. Now the user will have prod publish permissions to the first group of profiles and qa publish permissions to the second group.

What we also have to day is the "Publish Workflow" where publish requests have to be approved before they can go out. Today this is an account level setting, but I totally agree if this is done at the profile level it would be valuable. With this change you can have a user that can access all profiles and publish to prod on all of them. For the profiles requiring PCI compliance, you could turn on the profile level "Publish Workflow" and these profiles would need to be approved before being deployed. Then you can define your "approvers" at a per profile level and it doesn't have to be centralized.

I also want to add notifications via email, Slack and WebHook too.

A-B
Visitor
A-B

Hi Mike,

For all those custom code junkies out there, are there any plans to add

A - Linting capaability into custom code elements 

B - Code deployment minification option

C - Enhance Diff tools for code comparison

Cheers,

Alex

p.s. Thanks for taking putting time in for Ask Me Anything

Tealium Employee

@Prolet wrote:

3. Limit what data layer elements are used on user/user group level

• We need to ensure that personal data is not sent to vendors outside of the ones allowed. To ensure this we need to be able to limit which elements are used by users. Right now you can only limit editing the data layer with labels but that does not prevent people from sending data to vendors

@Prolet

Another good one...totally agreed...The easiest way we could tackle this is to still use resource locks but to restrict mapping.

However, you certainly can't restrict everything and I can edit templates and build JavaScript code extensions that can bypass this, but I'd have to be pretty wicked smart to pull this off. So you'd have to combine this with the "Edit JavaScript" permission to lock it down.

loldenburg
Contributor
loldenburg
Ok, thx, but please note that localStorage is not ideal in many cases, especially when you have a lot of Safari users in private mode (about 5-10% of our users block localStorage: https://www.webanalyticsworld.net/2017/09/localstorage-vs-cookies-for-analytics-implementations.html ) - other browser producers may change their privacy mode settings as well in the future. This makes localStorage not an ideal solution for really critical data that you would really like to have for everyone.
"at the start of the visit. " => For us it takes usually 3 pageviews from the moment a user sets his Visitor ID and the moment the enrichments (Visitor Attributes) are downloaded from Audience Stream.

Tealium Employee

@Prolet wrote:

4. Limit extensions that can be used on user/user group level

@Prolet

Sounds good...You can do this already at a small level by turning off the "Edit JavaScript" permission which limits the editing of Templates and JavaScript code extensions.

Are you looking for a full blown "Extension Marketplace Policy", similar to the Tag Marketplace Policy?

Tealium Employee

@per_lundqvist wrote:

Couple of questions for you @mike_anderson:

1) About the upcoming new EU laws about Privacy and data protection, GDPR, how will Tealium help us adapt to meet those requirements during next year?
I am thinking of not only the Privacy extensions but some overall support to meet demands for consent, audit tracking, cookie handling, detailed tag reporting, a s o.

@per_lundqvist

We have done a lot of this already, you can see our example of our "Show me what you know about me" widget live here: http://www.tealium.com/visitor-profile

There's still a lot to do and we're actively scoping what we have remaining for GDPR support, so I don't have a firm list right now, but we will have our GDPR plan very soon.

Tealium Employee

@per_lundqvist wrote:

Couple of questions for you @mike_anderson:

2) More down to earth, as an enterprise company with quite many profiles including parent/child relations/inheritage, we are still waiting for a tool to handle multi-publishing without spending an hour clicking buttons and waiting. When will that be included in the IQ tool?

Thanks!

@per_lundqvist

We're scoping a trickle publish API for inherited libraries at the end of November.

Tealium Employee

@sarah_farrar wrote:

Do you have a plan to build up the Learning Community? It would be great if your technical teams wrote up some of the issues they go through and put it into the community forums. I've heard "oh yea, I know of another client who was having very similar issues"a couple times and as someone who checks the forums before asking for help I think information placed there by your dev team would be invaluable 

We would love the ability to pick-and-choose updates to publish to an environment. Maybe something like a check in and publish system. Is this anywhere on your roadmap?

@sarah_farrar

Can you clarify this question for me? It kind of sounds like a list of known bugs in the Tealium Learning Community, to raise awareness of issues. Is this what you meant?

Tealium Employee

sarah_farrar wrote:

We would love the ability to pick-and-choose updates to publish to an environment. Maybe something like a check in and publish system. Is this anywhere on your roadmap?

@sarah_farrar @mvenkatesan

You can do this today with Publish Targets for tags, but it's not super easy. You can select an environment for a specific tag to be publish to. We plan to add this support for Extensions.

I'm assuming you don't want to do this for every tag but only a couple like Analytics.

Technically you could do this with Libraries too where you'd import a specific library and you could change the imported library based on the one you'd want to publish.

Lastly you can "Merge" a historical version into a current version.

I think all these options are technically possible, but it doesn't necessarily make them less clunky. I'd want to understand the use case on this more before I could come up with a solid design.

I am thinking about a "Stash" feature where you could stash things, and if it were backed by GitHub then you could just retrieve the stash you wanted to use...So maybe we could tackle it that way.

Tealium Employee

@rune_a wrote:

Thanks for this option to ask questions @mike_anderson.

I work with Peter and agree on his concern regarding TIQ development.

We are going to replace Webtrends with a new vendor. And one of the reasons are there failure to deliver on there primary product for years. They are always working on "the next UI/Product/etc" but they never delivered on their promises. (have worked with the tool for 7 years) 

I was a part of sourcing Tealium as our TMS, in competition with Ensighten, GTM, DTM etc.

And it was the TMS capabilities we bought. Not a Customer Data Platform. 

In the sourcing process we were told about the "next UI" but where not shown anything.

We now had access for 11 months , and there have not been a single major UI improvement to TIQ. No new features and no added capabilities - at least not any i have noticed.

That can make we worried for the product we bought, in a longer perspective.

Im not saying Tealium and Webtrends are comparable - not at all. But not keeping the primary product in shape will have consequences one day. And then it's typical too late to react. Webtrends is a prime example. 

I would like to add that Tealium can do all the things we were promised. We are not disappointed in any way. 
But we also bought a expectation of continues development of the TMS solution.

My specific questions are: 

1: Do Tealium still see TMS (TIQ) as the core business or is the focus shifting to CDP (Universal Data Hub)

@rune_a

Tealium and WebTrends are not comparable.

We actually have made some significant enhancements to the Tealium iQ UI including improved concurrency notifications which just released, merge conflict resolution (which I'm not sure we had 11 months ago, but if we did it had to have just released), there is a new hosted data layer API, Single Sign On, Multi-Factor authentication, optimized user management queries, etc. This is all in addition to new tags, extensions and data layer bundles.

For TMS we are also focused on staying up to date with mobile SDK's so our Android and iOS SDK's have continued to evolve as well.

We have a new "draft" mode for JavaScript code extensions that is starting development soon as well.

The CDP is not the Universal Data Hub. Our Customer Data Platform is AudienceStream. Our Universal Data Platform is all the components that are used to manage and distribute data, this includes TealiumiQ for Tag Management (TMS), AudienceStream for a Customer Data Platform (CDP), EventStream for sending events from the cloud instead of the device (arguably a wonderful add on for TMS and in my opinion part of TMS), DataAccess which includes EventStore/EventDB/AudienceStore/AudienceDB for filtering down and accessing the data in a large number of ways. I see the Universal Data Hub as the focus of Tealium and Tealium iQ as one of the core components to the Universal Data Hub.

Tealium Employee

@rune_a wrote:

2: Should we expect any new features for TIQ (besides new tags and bug fixes) in 2018 ?  

Specific feature request are:

Profile Overview Tab:

As a Bank we need to keep different sites and apps separated.

We have +30 profiles today (with many still missing), and are planning to add +20 App profiles in the near future. We will probably end up with +75 profiles. 

TIQ is built around tabs (myIQ, Data Layer, Load Rules etc)

But profiles are only to be selected from a tiny dropdown list, with no added meta-data.

For me a optimal feature would be a "Profiles" tab, with columns of meta-data, as also shown under "myIQ". And option to group profiles by type, business unit etc. 

Mapping Tab.
Today the actual UI for mapping datalayer to tag seems as one of the weakest features. It's in a small modal, with no sorting options etc.

Optimal this was in a tab, with the option to show multiple tags at the same time, sort on columns, batch edit etc. This would provide a much better overview than today

Dublicate extension between profiles,

A simple option to duplicate an extension to another profile(s). That this is not possible today is so strange a limitation.
To prevent failures, the extension can just be disabled by default when duplicated to other profiles.

Thanks again for the option to ask questions. Will try to join, but can't promises it. 

@rune_a

Of course you should expect new features for TiQ in 2018.

I certainly like your idea of a Profiles tab, or at least a favorite profiles tab and metadata about a profile makes a lot of sense. Grouping profiles on this tab (as well as the dropdown) is logical as well. I like all these ideas.

Moving the Mapping toolbox to a tab would be a considerable amount of work with the way we have it setup and how we're targeting a "Build your own" experience as well. Making the modal larger seems easy enough, and sorting options seems straightforward, I'd have to investigate this further to see the gaps you're seeing. So you're looking at it from a perspective where one person is doing all the mapping for all the tags, where many of our customers have multiple people doing their own mapping for their own tags they own. I think the ability to see where a data point is also mapped to other vendors from within a vendor mapping toolbox is interesting.

Duplicating extensions is also something I want. I would like a "Stash" feature so you could save off your favorite extensions and retrieve them into other profiles.

Prolet
Regular Visitor
Prolet

@mike_andersonThe problem with resource lock is that it is just for tat particular tag, I can simply deploy another tag.
Example: Marketing can come and deploy Google Analytics tag in their library, there is nothing to stop them from doing so. yes they cannot modify a tag that we might have created for Google Analytics, but because company policy allows Google Analytics they can use it. We want to be able to limit what vendors are different people allowed to deploy. This can be handled either through user level permissions or based on a library permissions.

The need to deploy a whole profile is the reason we are separating different teams within different libraries which all link to a main profile.

It seems like this was not linked ot what I was replying.. and i did not see away tolink to your reply.. so it was to your reply to my question here:

Features we would like to see:

1. Ability to specify environment permissions on per user and profile level
    • Right now vendors are assigned on account level. We would like to be able to assign vendors on profile level, while still abiding by the account level functionality
    • Why: We want to limit certain users to only have access to deploy certain tags. And no, tags do not work, because tags are on an individual tag level which means that as a marketer I can still deploy an analytics tag because the account provides it.We should not allow a marketer to deploy analytics tags and this is currently possible in the platform

Tealium Employee

@ttao3 wrote:

I have modest experience with Google Tag Manager, and find the Tealium IQ platform a bit hard to use, especially for the event tracking side - creating a jQuery extension every time for a lead form submission is not fun - maybe I am just not good at it yet. 

I understand Tealium is targeting at more "educated" business users, and I do love the training used to provided by Cara(I hope I remember correctly).  My questions is - How can I find better quality, easy to use training material from Tealium, beside the learning center, that I can get up to speed faster?  There are tons of GTM youtube video showing me step by step advanced tagging.  The video in Tealium leaning center is not as good. 

I apologize in advance If I didn't do enough homework to ask this question.

@ttao3

Great question. We have a great collection of advanced videos here

http://videos.tealium.com/categories/challenger-series

You can also submit challenges, so I encourage you to ask your questions and if they're good, we'll get a video on it.

For the link tracking capability, we honestly haven't had that many requests coming in asking about enhancements to this, but it's on my radar to revisit now.

kathleen_jo
Employee Emeritus
kathleen_jo

Only 10 minutes remain for the AMA with @mike_anderson! Get your questions in!

Remember to give me a kudo if you like my post! Accepting my post as a solution is even better! Also remember that search is your friend.
Highlighted

Tealium Employee

@mvenkatesan wrote:

Hello @mike_anderson,

My Question is related t a functionality requirement in Tealium IQ.

We are looking something like a branch feature in tealium IQ, in my current organization there are multiple swimlane teams working on different projects simultanioulsy and the release dates are not same, each project goes in a different date. Due to which we are facing challenges with pushing the impletemented project to production. 

Below is a scenario and what we are currenlty doing - 

- If there are 3 projects implemented and ready for production push, but 2 project dates are changed and other one is critical and cant wait and had to go to prod, what we do is roll-back the changes fo other 2 projects and push the required project to prod and rework on those rolled back project again. We are wasting too much of effort here (both dev and testing effort)

Can we have some functionality like branching, meaning creating each project in a different brand and select the respective brach/projects which need to go live and push them to production environment.

I believe this would a must need featuire and can we expect this along with the multi user feature which is planned to release?

Thanks!

@mvenkatesan

This is a big request that doesn't come in very often, but I completely understand the need.

Branching and merging is something that we don't support today, however, there are some things you can do.

Take a look at "Publish Targets" for tags. And let me preface this explanation with we are adding publish target support for extensions. Assuming things like data layer and load rules don't need to be versioned and it's mostly tags and extensions, try this:

Let's assume I have Tag1.1 that is currently live and I want to start working on Tag1.2. I update the publish target for 1.1 to prod and set the publish target for 1.2 to dev/qa. When I publish to prod 1.1 is published and when I publish to dev/qa, 1.2 goes out. Then I can work on 1.2 and not worry about the impact to production. When it's tested and ready I then disable 1.1 and update the publish target for 1.2 to prod. If I use labels to group these together as a "Version" I can do pretty well with this. The difference between traditional branching is that I'm only looking at a single version at a time, and with this approach, I have to look at multiple instances of a configuration side by side, but I still feel like you can do pretty well with this.

You could also use the Tealium Tools to create a quicker way to update the Publish Target settings. Some of our internal guys use one of the *Monkey solutions to give you better access to this type of functionality.

We are adding also adding a Draft mode for Javascript code extensions which allow you to work on multiple drafts of the extension in parallel and select publish targets for each draft, and then when ready you promote a draft to the production version and publish. This may help too.

Tealium Employee

@A-B wrote:

Hi Mike,

For all those custom code junkies out there, are there any plans to add

A - Linting capaability into custom code elements 

B - Code deployment minification option

C - Enhance Diff tools for code comparison

Cheers,

Alex

p.s. Thanks for taking putting time in for Ask Me Anything 

@A-B

The linting ask is a good one...noted.

We currently support minification. It's a publish setting that defaults to "On".

We have diff tools that are launched from the versions tab. You select the first version and then diff it to a second. The only limit I could see on this is that this is a post-publish diff rather than a pre-publish diff, but you could publish to Dev, do the diff then promote it.

We have a new enhancement coming out which is a draft mode for JavaScript code extensions so you can work on multiple versions of an extension in parallel and can select which version publishes where. We plan to put diff into that feature so you can see the changes you've made in a QA draft versus what's in production.

kathleen_jo
Employee Emeritus
kathleen_jo

And that's a wrap. Thank you for joining us for our first AMA!

Remember to give me a kudo if you like my post! Accepting my post as a solution is even better! Also remember that search is your friend.