Highlighted
Tealium Employee

Hi my name is Mike Anderson, Founder & CTO of Tealium, ask me anything!

[ Edited ]

AMA has closed. Thank you for all the questions! 

Welcome to my first Ask Me Anything (AMA) on the Tealium Learning Community.

In the meantime, please feel free to start asking your questions today. Click the "Reply" button above to begin. Suggested topics include:

• What can we expect from Tealium in 2018?
  • How can I get the most out of my Tealium products?
  • What's the fastest way I can educate my teams on how to use Tealium?
  • How do I maximize the value of my Tealium platform investment?

AMA-Photo-Mike-Holding-Sign.png  

Thank you.

Contributor

Re: Hi my name is Mike Anderson, Founder & CTO of Tealium. AMA

Hi Mike Anderson,

My questions prepared for this Ask Me Anything (AMA), revolves around future development of Tealium iQ.
Having experience with Google Tag Manager, Ensighten Manage and Tealium iQ, I keep an eye on the development of all three products, and of course have an opinion on the matter.

Question #1: What will the future bring for Tealium iQ?
I know this is a very open question.
The reason for me asking, is because I hear and see stuff about the further development of the Universal Data Hub, but not about Tealium iQ as a stand-alone product.

As other TMS vendors create more and more features, the iQ development mainly seem to revolve around tag updates, plus product improvements and fixes, of course being very important areas.
As an example from another vendor, within the last couple of weeks, Google has introduced built-in functionality for easier setup of scroll- and YouTube tracking through their TMS.
New features like that would be very nice to have in Tealium as well, for instance as pre-made extensions.

I still feel that iQ has big advantages for use by the enterprise customer segment, but looking at what is happening with a product like Google Tag Manager, I don't clearly see similar development done for iQ.

Question #2: Will you, at some point, develop an iQ Management API?
By Management API I mean an API, which you can use for doing stuff like bulk-actions in Tealium iQ.

Examples of use:
- a script for creation of new profile(s) with pre-made, and setup, tags, variables and extensions
- a script, which makes it possible to copy content from one profile to another
- script based auto-generation of setup documentation for a selected profile or account

I have previously saved a lot of time using APIs like this, while working with Google Tag Manager, mainly for copying things from one profile to another, and auto-generation of documentation.

Question #3: Would you consider developing a more automatic way of exporting and importing entire iQ profile setups?
This would be a nice functionality to have, for instance for making local file backups, or better yet, in Git repositories.
I know it is possible to add an extra manual environment, or download versions manually, to get the files for backup purposes.
But a more automatic way of doing this, would be so much nicer :-)

Question #4: Would you consider opening a community “extension library” for iQ?
Fellow TLC member @mitchellt suggested the idea, and in my opinion, that would be a terrific way to help promote community sharing, while at the same time help a lot of users make use of extension functionality, they else wouldn’t be able to.

The best community extensions could then also help suggest, what Tealium developers could/should add, as part of the built-in iQ extension suite.

Question #5: Are there any larger UI updates planned for iQ?
I know that design, to some degree, is a matter of taste.
But it would for instance be nice, if it was possible to take more advantage of available screen size, if iQ is used on bigger screens, like 1080p (Full HD) and larger, now that screen-sizes are getting quite big.
A general overhaul of UI, would in my opinion, not hurt either ;-)

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Peter Meyer

Contributor

I won't be able to join the AMA on tuesday, so I hope it is ok, that I convey my question here anyway.

Best regards,
Peter

Community Manager

Great stuff, @pmeyerdk, and YES, it is awesome that you are adding your questions now! Sorry we'll miss you on Tuesday! 

Anybody else have any other questions? We look forward to your replies.

Remember to give me a kudo if you like my post! Accepting my post as a solution is even better! Also remember that search is your friend.
0 Kudos
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for offering this opportunity.
My questions:

1. Same as @pmeyerdk: What is the long-term plan for Tealium iQ? It is still a usable tool and the Data Layer mapping works more efficient than in any other TMS imho, but it has lost its edge imho in many aspects that other TMS offer nowadays. Link Delay for more accurate click tracking just being one of them.

2. Dynamic Data Layer Management (aka "Hosted Data Layer"): Is this a feature that is being prioritized in any form? We have had really big troubles getting it going (account managers and support know all about it), and it still is not at a point where we can recommend others to try their hands on it. We want to know if we can bet on Tealium to enhance and improve DDLM as it would be one of the few features that gave it an advantage over

3. Better integration with Automated Testing Tools like ObservePoint? Tealium and ObservePoint are cooperating. It would be cool to have some Tealium-related OP features that would allow easier Automated Testing in OP.

4. Any chance that Data Layer Enrichment via Audience Stream will work even faster?

5. What about the improvement of Array Handling in Audience Stream generally and more specifically, connectors? Array seem to be a problem in so many areas of Audience Stream, however Arrays are the most common form of transmitting product data in an ecommerce shop.
As an example, right now, the connectors we use (ExactTarget) don't allow us to make visitor profile exports for typical e-commerce use cases like "user had 3 different product in cart". ExactTarget in this case expects one line per product per user (so 3 lines). The Connector however can only send one row per user (=> only one product), which makes it impossible to cover multiple-products-per-user cases which are so abundant in E-Commerce.
So this severely limits our follow-up campaign potential (like user had product a, b, c in basket but did not buy => send follow-up mail with exactly these three products in it (right now we can send only one of the products))

6. Tealium in other languages. Right now, Tealium iQ, the Tealium.com website, and Audience Stream are theoretically available in German and other languages. Tealium even forces you into these other languages when your browser language is German for example. But the German experience is just horrible, with loads of misleading and wrongly translated terms, imho even unusable, because Tealium (I wonder who even came up with such an idea?) chose to do a machine translation... Is this ever going to be fixed? Because I cannot believe that anyone uses e.g. the German version on purpose.

Community Manager

Thank you @loldenburg for the questions! Who else wants to ask @mike_anderson anything?

Remember to give me a kudo if you like my post! Accepting my post as a solution is even better! Also remember that search is your friend.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey @mike_anderson

I love the Tealium tool set, and lately we have been playing around with the connectors in Audience Stream trying to find a perfect fit for our needs. 

Most of the time, we can make what need work. If we can't find an existing solution, we can always use a webhook to figure it out. 

However, I would love to see some sort of Market Place where companies and developers could build their own Connectors in Audience Stream and offer those to other clients. I'm sure we are not the only clients who face the some hurdles, and we would love to benefit from other companies who have already figured out a solution. 

Have you ever toyed with the idea of creating something like SalesForce AppCenter for the DataHub? 

Jer

Frequent Visitor

We just started with Tealium and we are finding that current permissions and locking capabilities are not enough for our use cases. As GDPR is coming in fast, we are trying to ensure that the platform is setup with more controls around who can do certain things in the platform. Are there plans on enhancing capabilities so companies with more users and complex permissions have better control over the platform?

Features we would like to see:

1. Ability to specify environment permissions on per user and profile level
    • Right now vendors are assigned on account level. We would like to be able to assign vendors on profile level, while still abiding by the account level functionality
    • Why: We want to limit certain users to only have access to deploy certain tags. And no, tags do not work, because tags are on an individual tag level which means that as a marketer I can still deploy an analytics tag because the account provides it.We should not allow a marketer to deploy analytics tags and this is currently possible in the platform
  2. Vendor permission on profile/user/user group level
    • Right now if a person has permissions to deploy to one profile to prod they can deploy any profile they have access to , which does not work for a couple of reasons:
      • We have PCI compliant profiles that need to go through special review with our PCI compliance team. Only approved individuals should be able to deploy to prod for this profile
      • We do not want to centralize deployment as we will have too many stakeholders and systems, and we want to enable marketers to deploy their own tags
  3. Limit what data layer elements are used on user/user group level
    • We need to ensure that personal data is not sent to vendors outside of the ones allowed. To ensure this we need to be able to limit which elements are used by users. Right now you can only limit editing the data layer with labels but that does not prevent people from sending data to vendors
  4. Limit extensions that can be used on user/user group level

And yes I just copied and pasted what I sent to Tealium as a question as well, but would love to hear feedback from Mike. I would also love to hear feedback from other platform users and understand if we are the only ones struggling with this

Thanks,

Prolet

Community Manager

Great questions @Prolet and @JerTippets! Thank you! Who else has questions?

0 Kudos
VIP

Re: Ask Me Anything with Tealium Founder and CTO Mike Anderson

[ Edited ]

Couple of questions for you @mike_anderson:

1) About the upcoming new EU laws about Privacy and data protection, GDPR, how will Tealium help us adapt to meet those requirements during next year?
I am thinking of not only the Privacy extensions but some overall support to meet demands for consent, audit tracking, cookie handling, detailed tag reporting, a s o.

2) More down to earth, as an enterprise company with quite many profiles including parent/child relations/inheritage, we are still waiting for a tool to handle multi-publishing without spending an hour clicking buttons and waiting. When will that be included in the IQ tool?

Thanks!

Visitor

[ Edited ]

Do you have a plan to build up the Learning Community? It would be great if your technical teams wrote up some of the issues they go through and put it into the community forums. I've heard "oh yea, I know of another client who was having very similar issues"a couple times and as someone who checks the forums before asking for help I think information placed there by your dev team would be invaluable 

We would love the ability to pick-and-choose updates to publish to an environment. Maybe something like a check in and publish system. Is this anywhere on your roadmap?

Community Manager

Great questions @per_lundqvist and @sarah_farrar! Thank you! Anybody else?

Regular Visitor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for this option to ask questions @mike_anderson.

I work with Peter and agree on his concern regarding TIQ development.

We are going to replace Webtrends with a new vendor. And one of the reasons are there failure to deliver on there primary product for years. They are always working on "the next UI/Product/etc" but they never delivered on their promises. (have worked with the tool for 7 years) 

I was a part of sourcing Tealium as our TMS, in competition with Ensighten, GTM, DTM etc.

And it was the TMS capabilities we bought. Not a Customer Data Platform. 

In the sourcing process we were told about the "next UI" but where not shown anything.

We now had access for 11 months , and there have not been a single major UI improvement to TIQ. No new features and no added capabilities - at least not any i have noticed.

That can make we worried for the product we bought, in a longer perspective.

Im not saying Tealium and Webtrends are comparable - not at all. But not keeping the primary product in shape will have consequences one day. And then it's typical too late to react. Webtrends is a prime example. 

I would like to add that Tealium can do all the things we were promised. We are not disappointed in any way. 
But we also bought a expectation of continues development of the TMS solution.

My specific questions are: 

1: Do Tealium still see TMS (TIQ) as the core business or is the focus shifting to CDP (Universal Data Hub)

2: Should we expect any new features for TIQ (besides new tags and bug fixes) in 2018 ?  

Specific feature request are:

Profile Overview Tab:

As a Bank we need to keep different sites and apps separated.

We have +30 profiles today (with many still missing), and are planning to add +20 App profiles in the near future. We will probably end up with +75 profiles. 

TIQ is built around tabs (myIQ, Data Layer, Load Rules etc)

But profiles are only to be selected from a tiny dropdown list, with no added meta-data.

For me a optimal feature would be a "Profiles" tab, with columns of meta-data, as also shown under "myIQ". And option to group profiles by type, business unit etc. 

Mapping Tab.
Today the actual UI for mapping datalayer to tag seems as one of the weakest features. It's in a small modal, with no sorting options etc.

Optimal this was in a tab, with the option to show multiple tags at the same time, sort on columns, batch edit etc. This would provide a much better overview than today

Dublicate extension between profiles,

A simple option to duplicate an extension to another profile(s). That this is not possible today is so strange a limitation.
To prevent failures, the extension can just be disabled by default when duplicated to other profiles.

Thanks again for the option to ask questions. Will try to join, but can't promises it. 

Community Manager

Great stuff @rune_a! Thank you! Who else has a question? 

0 Kudos
Community Manager

We're going to get started in 30 minutes! 

0 Kudos
Community Manager

We'll be starting the AMA with @mike_anderson in 5 minutes.

0 Kudos
Community Manager

We've started the Ask Me Anything. Please feel free to ask your questions now. @mike_anderson will be live answering.

0 Kudos
Tealium Employee

pmeyerdk wrote:

Hi Mike Anderson,

My questions prepared for this Ask Me Anything (AMA), revolves around future development of Tealium iQ.
Having experience with Google Tag Manager, Ensighten Manage and Tealium iQ, I keep an eye on the development of all three products, and of course have an opinion on the matter.

Question #1: What will the future bring for Tealium iQ?
I know this is a very open question.
The reason for me asking, is because I hear and see stuff about the further development of the Universal Data Hub, but not about Tealium iQ as a stand-alone product.

As other TMS vendors create more and more features, the iQ development mainly seem to revolve around tag updates, plus product improvements and fixes, of course being very important areas.
As an example from another vendor, within the last couple of weeks, Google has introduced built-in functionality for easier setup of scroll- and YouTube tracking through their TMS.
New features like that would be very nice to have in Tealium as well, for instance as pre-made extensions.

I still feel that iQ has big advantages for use by the enterprise customer segment, but looking at what is happening with a product like Google Tag Manager, I don't clearly see similar development done for iQ.

@pmeyerdk

If we look at Tealium iQ more holistically, I think the future will be less around managing JavaScript and more about directing data to destinations.

EventStream allows you to send data from your digital properties to Tealium and leverage our cloud-based delivery infrastructure.  This can help remove tags from web pages and help you manage non-web data all in one place.  There are a lot of performance benefits by removing pixels from the page and tag management is really more than just adding tags, it’s removing them too.

EventStore is also key in giving you access to your data collected via tags.  It allows vendors just to pick up event-level data rather than collect it.

EventStream and EventStore are key to our Tealium iQ tag management strategy.

In the Tealium iQ user interface itself, we’ve also been introducing some great new features based on customer feedback.  We improved user concurrency, merging of profiles, some neat enhancements like draft mode for JavaScript code extensions and publish targets for extensions, so we're definitely not done yet!

Tealium Employee

pmeyerdk wrote:

Question #2: Will you, at some point, develop an iQ Management API?
By Management API I mean an API, which you can use for doing stuff like bulk-actions in Tealium iQ.

Examples of use:
- a script for creation of new profile(s) with pre-made, and setup, tags, variables and extensions
- a script, which makes it possible to copy content from one profile to another
- script based auto-generation of setup documentation for a selected profile or account

I have previously saved a lot of time using APIs like this, while working with Google Tag Manager, mainly for copying things from one profile to another, and auto-generation of documentation.

@pmeyerdk

We've already started on the API front with the Hosted Data Layer API. I have some design discussions scheduled for the week after Thanksgiving to talk about some other API functionality. Based on customer requests the first will be a "Trickle Publish" API that allows for API publishing of profiles that inherit Libraries.

A script for pre-built profiles sounds good, but you can copy a profile. My guidance here would be to create a profile called "Template", create the things you want (data layer, tags, load rules, variables, etc) then when you want to create a new profile, you just "Copy" a profile and choose "Template" as the source. Your TiQ components that were in the "Template" profile will all be created in the new profile.

To your point, rather than creating a full blown API for 100% of TMS functionality, I could see a "Create Profile" as an early supported API call that allows you to create a blank profile, or to create a copy. I think this would achieve your use case and would be easier to do from our side much faster.

For copying content from one profile to another, I completely agree and have wanted "Copy, Stash and Paste" functionality for a while. I don't think it would be much to develop, but everything we do is driven on customer priority, so if we haven't built it yet, customers haven't asked for it.

We're evaluating a "Product Ideas" forum to allow customers to vote on product requests.

Tealium Employee

pmeyerdk wrote:

Question #3: Would you consider developing a more automatic way of exporting and importing entire iQ profile setups?
This would be a nice functionality to have, for instance for making local file backups, or better yet, in Git repositories.
I know it is possible to add an extra manual environment, or download versions manually, to get the files for backup purposes.
But a more automatic way of doing this, would be so much nicer :-)

@pmeyerdk

I'm totally up for this idea...I'll add it to our product ideas.