Re: Global DataLayer + tag + mapping to use in libraries and profiles

Global DataLayer + tag + mapping to use in libraries and profiles

Submitted by rune_a ‎02-14-2018 11:34 AM - edited ‎02-14-2018 11:51 AM

I would like to redefine the way the DataLayer is handled in TIQ.  

The DataLayer in a organisation should preferably follow some rules that make it consists across all/most sites and apps. And the mapping between the datalayer and tag should also be the same. So for a account there should be a option to define one (or more) global DataLayer + Tag + Mapping  that can be inherited by all libraies and profile where this is needed. (based on Pull or Push definitions)

There should still be the option to add DataLayer parameters in lib and profile level including the mapping. As local variables. This would requrie that the tag mapping is not locked on profile level as it is today when a tag is inherited from a library, or in this case the Global DataLayer.

So we should work with a global account defined Datalayer that covers maybe 80% of the setup and then there is option to make local supliment. This would dramatically reduce or time used in mapping and parameter alignment.  And ensure consistency. As example we have 8 libraries that all use 90% the same DataLayer, and then all need a new tag, that need 100% the same mapping in all profile. If this came from one centralized place we would save a lot of time.  

It can be seen as a extra layer of libraries but it should not have the functions as a library. There should not be a need for publish etc. Because the DataLayer is always pushed to profiles if thats the setting.

(Note: I just realized that  @bjoern_koth have posted a similar idea a few hours ago - but it's a little unclear for me if it is the same concept - so i will let it be for now, and let the community manager decide)

Hello @rune_a. I'm going to go ahead and archive this one. Thank you for submitting the idea but the Central datalayer and load rules definitions to be used across libraries and profiles post covers this one, I believe. 

Comments
by kathleen_jo
on ‎02-14-2018 03:29 PM
Status changed to: Archived

Hello @rune_a. I'm going to go ahead and archive this one. Thank you for submitting the idea but the Central datalayer and load rules definitions to be used across libraries and profiles post covers this one, I believe. 

by rune_a
‎02-14-2018 11:29 PM - edited ‎02-14-2018 11:37 PM

@kathleen_jo

To be honest i don't think this idea and the one by @bjoern_koth is the same concept.

As i read it, he suggest that datalayer and loadrules can be shared across libraies and profiles.

What i suggest is a global datalayer managed on a acconut level, that are inherited by all profiles.
It is not a library or profile. It is a new core function of TIQ. 

Thast also how @UnknownJ state it in his comment.

But that is of course your decision. If this just is realized some day im happy :)

by bjoern_koth
on ‎02-15-2018 12:00 AM

@rune_a@kathleen_jo I think I could also live with Rune's proposal which essentially would be the same as mine.

So fine with me if this one gets archive.

Cheers,

Björn

by kathleen_jo
‎02-15-2018 07:21 AM - edited ‎02-15-2018 07:21 AM

@rune_a That is a difference. Perhaps the two can be combined? HHHHmmmm... Let me get @TealiumJustin to weigh in. Hold please. LOL

by Community Manager
on ‎02-15-2018 08:35 AM

@rune_a @bjoern_koth First off, these are both great ideas and something that has been talked about internally. I think both ideas are suggesting a similar concept -- a global area for configuration (tags, load rules, data layer) that is neither a library nor a profile. I recommend we leave this one archived so that support can be focused into the other idea (in other words, one idea with 20 votes is better than 2 similar ideas each with 10 votes). Just trying to increase the overall chances that the idea gets considered. Cheers!

by rune_a
on ‎02-15-2018 10:03 AM

@TealiumJustin Agre.

Just happy you have also talked about this internal. 

A global datalayer/tag/mapping as a base layer for other profiles would have saved us many many hours in our setup process.