- TLC Home Home
- Discussions Discussions
- Documentation Documentation
- Knowledge Base Knowledge Base
- Education Education
- Blog Blog
- Support Desk Support Desk
01-06-2020 07:03 AM
Is there an "End of day expiration" for web sessions set for sessions id as in Google Analytics? I found information regarding the 30 minute period expiration, but nothing on the expiration at midnight.
Solved! Go to Solution.
01-08-2020 08:22 AM - edited 01-08-2020 08:23 AM
This is a good question to address to Google but according to other sources on the web, there are 3 ways the GA sessions can expire:
1. A GA session expires, if no new hit is sent to GA server within 30 minutes from the time when the last hit was sent to the second.
2. A GA session automatically expire at midnight (11:59:59 pm) too:
For example, if a user is browsing your website since 11:45 pm, his session will automatically terminate at 11:59:59 pm even if he continues to engage with your website. At 12 am a new GA session will start for your user.
3. A GA session can also expire if a user return to your website via a different campaign source.
Hope this helps :)
01-09-2020 05:38 AM
Thanks for the reply Emmanuel_Duriez! I now see I didn't make my question clear: I was wondering if the tealium session id also reset at midnight UTC or if it's just reset after 30 minutes of inactivity (as is also the case with GA session expiration).
I found the reference to the 30 minute inactivity expiration here: https://community.tealiumiq.com/t5/Tealium-iQ-Tag-Management/utag-main-ses-id-expiration/td-p/16576
01-10-2020 06:27 AM - edited 01-10-2020 06:28 AM
Thank you for clarification.
The short answer is no, the Tealium session won't reset at midnight UTC like GA does.
- Tealium session is referring to the Tealium ss_id: parameter under utag_main cookie and use 1 way to reset (reset after 30 mins of inactivity on desktop).
- The GA session refers to GA session cookie and use 3 ways to reset as explained on my previous reply.
Hope it is answering your request?
Copyright All Rights Reserved © 2008-2023