Highlighted

Set up utag_main_pn and utag_main_sn value as custom dimension in GA

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor

Dear Community,

I have been trying to set utag_main_pn and utag_main_sn cookie parameters to custom dimensions in GA but it seems not working.

I have created a first party cookie data source and name it utag_main_pn, then I have created a UDO variable with the JS code b["cp.utag_main_pn"]. Then, mapped this UDO variable to a custom dimensions I have created in GA but it seems not working.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much for your support.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Tealium Employee

Hi @defelicemattia,

Without knowing more details I can't answer fully but I suspect that it has something to do with how the cookie is being generated. Are you using the Persist Data extension?  Here is a reference to an article regarding the Persist Data extension:

https://community.tealiumiq.com/t5/Developers/Persist-Data-Value-Extension/m-p/1075

Is your cookie value being stored within the utag_main cookie or outside? If outside perhaps that is the issue.

This is a case where we would need to look under the hood to help you investigate. Please reach out to your account manager for help to review your implementation.

Highlighted

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor

Hi @david_bird,

No I am using a normal Set Value extension and not a Persistent one. I am storing the cookie within the utag_main. I have also checked the cookie on the page and it contains the value I am looking for. I have tried to combine this value with a GA generated cookie and the GA is parsed correctly and the pn value returns as undefined.

This is the reason why I think it has something to do with when the cookie is generated and might be that the value is mapped before being generated.

Might this be a reason for you? If yes how do I make sure the data source is created before the value is mapped to the dimension?

Highlighted

Tealium Employee

Hi @defelicemattia

So I think you might be over complicating this.

Once you have created the CP Data source:

utag_main__pn.png

You can just map that straight to the GA Tag

ga.png

This will then send the utag_main__pn value out:

request.png

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Ask me anything Tealium related or Javascript, or NodeJS.
Please remember to mark solutions as accepted for future searchers.
Highlighted

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor

Hi @adrian_browning ,

Thank you very much for your answer and I can see why you say that and that's the same feeling I had but this is not working either. 

Any other ideas? 

Loading the parameter from the console with the syntax utag.loader.RC("utag_main")._pn it returns the correct value. How do I place this value in a CD?

Highlighted

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor

Dear all,

I have fixed the issue creating a set value extension with js code utag.loader.RC("utag_main")._pn and then mapped it with the CD into the tag.

thank you for your help.

Highlighted

Employee Emeritus

@defelicemattia wrote:

Dear all,

I have fixed the issue creating a set value extension with js code utag.loader.RC("utag_main")._pn and then mapped it with the CD into the tag.

thank you for your help.

@defelicemattia Thank you for sharing your solution!

Remember to give me a kudo if you like my post! Accepting my post as a solution is even better! Also remember that search is your friend.