- TLC Home Home
- Discussions Discussions
- Documentation Documentation
- Knowledge Base Knowledge Base
- Education Education
- Blog Blog
- Support Desk Support Desk
We want to know, which extension, of our tag manager, is being triggered when I do a specific action.
We have been able to know the tags that are being triggered by that action but not the extension/s, which is the element that we think that is the origin of the incorrect data(we have a lot of extensions and tags).
We have tried multiples extensions and debugging methods with the console, but there is not enough.
Could you give us some tips to debug this scenario?
Thank you in advance.
If the issue is only with a single tag, then it would appear that extensions scoped to that tag are the ones at issue.
Probably first, before doing that, I would use the Tealium debugger cookie, and look at the output of utag.js code execution. If you're not familiar with the cookie:
The gobs of printed information about the tag execution process will contain any errors that occurred. This can help pinpoint the location of an extension going awry. For example:
utag.js:formatted:1599 TypeError: Cannot read property 'toString' of undefined at Array.u.extend (utag.js:formatted:13388) at Object.u.send (utag.js:formatted:13565) at sendTag (utag.js:formatted:1771) at Object.trigger (utag.js:formatted:1803) at Object.track (utag.js:formatted:1644) at Object.link (utag.js:formatted:1624) at utag.js:formatted:12581
Here's an extension that did not check for the existence of a property value before trying to use it. Because utag captures the output with its exception handler, no message will appear in the console. You may see one of these errors right at the point of a tag being processed like this:
utag.js:formatted:1599 SENDING: 398
In that case, you've found an extension that is misbehaving at tag scope, and possibly directly damaging your data collection.
If there's no joy with the cookie, then walking line by line through the code in the debugger is likely the only course. Sorry. Nothing like stepping through a for loop with 25 or 50 steps to ruin an afternoon. But hey, that's why they pay us the big money. ;-)
Thanks @powem for the answer (it has been a long time ago, sorry).
I'm pretty sure that the "utag" object has a method to know which extensions have been triggered (and that is what Tealium's extension use) but I didn't find it.
As you have proposed, I have put some breakpoints on the "utag.js" code, specifically on the extension condition, to verify the data there.
P.S: I have had the same issue again (2 years later) and there is not any advance on this topic...
Thanks for your answer @mitchellt
The main problem with the "Web companion" is that it's not be able to show all the extensions triggered.
I miss an attribute or a method like "utag.send", where we can see which rules have been triggered.
We will always have "utag.DB()", hahaha.
Copyright All Rights Reserved © 2008-2023