Visitor

iQ blocked by Firefox Tracking Protection?

Hi Tealium-Team,

I noticed some days ago, that Tealium iQ gets blocked by the Tracking Protection of Firefox. AFAIK the Tracking Protection (TP) is not activated in Firefox by default (yet), but a lot of companies already distribute Firefox with TP activated. This is a major issue for us, as i.e. we use iQ for Cookie Management (GPDR relevant!) and other stuff that is not related to tracking and needs to be on the webpage.

Therefore I investigated a little bit deeper:

1. Tracking Protection of Firefox is based on a list from Disconnect [source]
  2. Tealiums whole CDN (tiqcdn.com) is now blacklisted [see github]
  3. This was added on Dec. 8th 2018 [see commit]

We could hardcode all of our (non tracking related) tags into the webpage, but  that would somehow contradict the the Tag Management idea.

Question: What can Tealium do about this? What can we do? How do others handle this issue?

I'd appreciate feedback and I'm also interested to hear, if other customers are affect by this change or experiencing similiar difficulties with other browsers.

Thanks & Best regards,

Holger

VIP

Re: iQ blocked by Firefox Tracking Protection?

At face value at least, this development is rather alarming.  Closely following this thread and hope that we get some "official" updates soon from Tealium and other vendors.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

We are re-platforming and our devs brought this to my attention in the last week. Indeed this is an alarming development.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I've created the following feature suggestion, which I think would work around the problem:

https://community.tealiumiq.com/t5/Product-Ideas/Enable-CNAME-aliasing-to-create-appearance-of-local...

At least until the blocking got smarter, anyway.. From my perspective, we too use Tealium to deliver functionality like Webchat, which wouldn't be blocked by an ad blocker, so it's unfortunate that the delivery vehicle is.

Other alternatives include locally hosting your Tealium instance - bundle all tags, and mirror utag.js onto your own domain, but it's not ideal for a whole bunch of reasons...

0 Kudos