A Library is identical to a Profile, but with the special ability to be imported into another Profile. Libraries are used to manage configurations that are shared across multiple Profiles.
Here are a few points to take into consideration before you begin working with Libraries.
In order to create a Profile Library, you need the 'Manage Profiles' permission. However, every user in the account can see all Libraries. To create a new Library:
1. In Tealium iQ, click on your email address in the upper right corner to open the Admin Menu.
2. Click on 'Manage Profiles' under Account Admin.
3. You will notice all the Libraries and Profiles for your account are listed on the left side of the Manage Profiles window. Click the 'Add Library' button.
4. Enter the name for your Library. Library names have the same limitations as Profile names, i.e. lowercase letters, numbers, periods, and dashes only. As a best practice, devise a naming convention to differentiate your Libraries from your profiles. For example adding "lib-" in front of your Library names makes it easy to determine if you're working with a Library or a Profile. Profiles and Libraries cannot share names.
5. Select whether this Library is Optional or Required.
6. Choose the specific elements you want to include from the profile or Library you selected. If you select none of the elements, then you will create a blank Library. The elements you select are copied from the profile/library that you are currently logged into.
7. Create the 'Click Library' button to create the Library. Tealium iQ does not automatically log you into the new Library. You must still log into the Library manually by selecting it from the Profile/Version selection menu and clicking 'Load Version'.
In the Manage Profiles window click the Library you want to view, then click Edit next in the Manage Profiles window to change the library's status between Optional and Required.
You can add and make changes to elements in a Library by logging into that Library like you would with a Profile.
Add Data Sources, Tags, Extensions, Load Rules, Users, and Publish Settings in the Library. These elements are meant to be shared among other Profiles, so avoid configuring them to be specific to any one Profile.
You may only perform a 'Save As' with a Library. As a best practice we recommend you develop a naming convention to keep track of your Library versions. Like with a Profile, you can select which publish environments you want to save and publish your configurations to. You may also specify which Library publish environment a Profile loads.
Note: Changes to a Library do not automatically propagate to all the Profiles that load it. You must re-publish each profile to include the changes to the library.
Since Required Libraries are automatically loaded by all Profiles, you must perform a Save/Publish to all your Profiles in order to import the Required Library. Optional Libraries are not automatically loaded, so you must first link the Library to the appropriate Profile(s), then perform a Save/Publish with those Profiles.
You may link a Library to Profile, or a Profile to a Library. To link an optional Library to a Profile:
1. In the Manage Profiles window, select the Profile to which you want to link a Library from the Profiles list on the left-hand side. Alternatively, you may select a Library to which you want to link a Profile.
2. Select the Library from the drop-down list at the top of the window.
3. Click the 'Link to Library' button.
4. The Library you selected will appear in the main screen. Select which publish environment (Dev, QA, Prod) of the Library you wish to link to the Profile.
Note: You may remove a link by clicking the 'Remove Link' button. You cannot remove a link to required Libraries.
Regardless of whether the Library is optional or required, any additions of new Libraries or changes to existing Libraries require that you publish a new version of the linked profile(s) in order to import the latest Libraries' configurations. Currently you must publish each profile individually.
To determine which profiles are linked to a particular library:
Elements added from a Library receive a label indicating which Library they belong to. Tags added to a Profile via a Library receive a unique ID for that Profile. This unique ID may be different than the ID that Tag receives when added to the Library.
Keep in mind that any Tag, Load Rule, or Extension you add in a Library will appear as 'turned on' in whatever Profile that loads the Library. You cannot turn off a Library-loaded element from a Profile that loads the Library. You'll notice in the image below that there is no way to turn off the Library-loaded Tag.
You'll also notice that there is no way to remove Library-loaded Data Sources added from the Profile.
Deleting a Library is an irreversible action. We recommend that you phase out use of a library across all the affected Profiles before deleting it.
To delete a Library please contact your Account Manager.